Gwynfryn Was Built

The story of Conwy

Prior to the English invasion Conwy was the site of the Aberconwy Abbey, a Cistercian Monastery. Occupying an important location on the River Conwy at a crossing point between the coastal and inland areas of North Wales, the site had long been vied for by the English and Welsh. 

In 1282 King Edward I invaded North Wales and defeated the local Welsh Princes and set about colonising the area. Building fortified towns protected by castles for the English to settle in. This included building the walled town of Conwy protected by a Castle.
In 1294 Prince Madog ap Llywelyn rebelled against the English rule and lay siege but failed.
After another Welsh rebellion in North Wales, Owain Glyndwr & his brother led a surprise attack on Conwy. Tricking their way into the Castle pretending to be be carpenters there to repair the Castle. They took control of the castle whilst rebels took control of the rest of the walled town. Holding out for three months until negotiating a surrender with a Royal Pardon.

Gwynfryn Was Built

Conwy becoming a tourist attraction

In the 19th century road and rail bridges were constructed over the River Conwy to replace the ferry link. These were to improve the communication link and increase the tourist numbers. The Conwy Suspension Bridge was built by Thomas Telford and was one of the first road suspension bridges anywhere in the world.

In 1865 the Castle was passed to the civic leadership of Conwy Council.

Gwynfryn Was Built

More recent times in Conwy

In 1986 the Castle and Town Walls were designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site, after being considered to be the finest example in Europe of late 13th century & early 14th century military architecture.

Gwynfryn Was Built

Conwy Today

Conwy is a thriving tourist destination from people from all over the globe. With its many attractions, great places to eat & drink and wonderful array of quaint shops. Check out our Guidebook for all the great things to enjoy during your visit.